Therapy - Children/Tween/Teens
Are you worried about your child? Sometimes having a neutral adult to with whom to connect can make all the difference in your child’s happiness.
Some Issues that counseling may address
- School Refusal
- Middle School Issues
- Children of Divorce
- Attention Deficit Disorder
- Making and Keeping Friends
- Social Skills
- Defiant Behavior
- Family Transition
- Witness of Trauma
- Anger management
- Behavioral Concerns
- Grief and Sadness
Counseling can be extremely beneficial for your child but it also takes commitment from the parents and the child. Below are some considerations before you start.
- It takes time. Relationships don’t happen overnight. Think about it. When you start counseling you basically say, “Hey kid, tell all your secrets to this stranger.” It takes time and interaction for your child to learn it is OK to talk to their therapist about their lives and to not worry about getting their mom or dad in trouble or angry by speaking.
- Consistency. If you are unable to make a commitment to consistent meetings, it may not be time for counseling. It is difficult to get momentum and encourage change when a child only sees their therapist once in a while. Initially, weekly visits are encouraged to build a strong foundation.
- Parents or Guardians will need to be involved some of the time. The amount of involvement depends on the child and family’s needs. As a parent, you are the main teacher and role model for your children. Plus – you know your child better than anyone else. Checking in with the counselor and being part of sessions is essential.
- It is essential to be open to your child’s world view. Situations look different to an adult than to a child. There are often situations that an adult hardly takes notice of and for a child, the situation may cause stress, anxiety, fear or hurt. Children often blames themselves for situations they have little or no real involvement.
- There is no magic wand! Counseling is a process. Trust the process and your family may reap the benefits!